On the way back from the dam we followed a signfor a “Picnic Ground” in the State Forest; this turned out to be a very neglected area alongside a small lake, known as the Maa Mon Chin Picnic Ground. This courtesy of the Australian Chinese Museum:
“Maa Mon Chinn (1846-18.5.1923) was a highly respected clan headman, storekeeper and tinminer who lived in Weldborough, North East Tasmania, for most of his life.
He came to Tasmania from Guangdong province with his father, and older brother, Maa Pahn, in the 1860s, to make money from tin mining. At that time Maa Mon Chinn was in his mid-teens. They were among the first Chinese to emigrate to Tasmania.”